JOSEPH TACOPINA, ESQ.
Joe Tacopina, the founder and Managing Partner of the Manhattan based law firm Tacopina & Seigel, specializing in criminal, civil, and securities litigation, is widely recognized as one of the “go to” criminal defense attorneys in the country. Tacopina is included in New York Magazine as New York area’s “Top Rated Lawyer,” and named “the best-dressed, smoothest-talking, hardest- working criminal defense attorney going” in a six-page spread in GQ Magazine’s Power section.
Tacopina skyrocketed in the legal profession since his early days as a prosecutor in the Kings County District Attorney’s Office, where he prevailed in 39 of 40 trials. After entering private practice, Tacopina displayed his talent not only for criminal defense law, but also in public and press relations, which he has elevated his practice to a new level in the criminal defense field. Tacopina has earned the media’s praise and frequently appears as a much sought after legal analyst by media outlets nationwide, including CNN, NBC, ABC, Fox News, CNBC, and MSNBC. Tacopina has also headlined Primetime,48 Hours, E! Entertainment, and Dateline, and served as a special correspondent for 20/20 to investigate the controversial murder prosecution of American exchange student Amanda Knox, in Italy. Notably, CBS’s hit show “The Guardian” used Tacopina’s courtroom charm as a model for their main character and, one of James Patterson’s bestselling books, Private #1 Suspect, included Tacopina in Chapter 80 based on his reputation as one of the best criminal defense lawyers. Tacopina has garnered prestigious awards including one of the top Trial Lawyers by the National Trial Lawyers Association and one of the 10 Best Client Satisfaction Attorneys. Most Recently, Tacopina is recognized as the Criminal Defense Lawyer of the Year in the State of New York, a Top Rated Lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell’s Legal Leaders, and Super Lawyers.
Tacopina volunteers his time as an adjunct faculty member at Cardozo Law School’s Intense Trial Advocacy Program (ITAP) and lectures to audiences nationwide on a variety of legal issues, including speaking before the Saratoga County Bar Association at their Law Day Ceremony. He is a judge for Yale Law School’s Mock Trial Association, and earned a top AV rating by his peers in Martindale Hubbell. Joe has been consistently chosen as one of New York’s Super Lawyers in The New York Times Magazine and was recognized by the Italian American Bar Association as “Man of the Year” for his outstanding achievements. Newsweek Magazine recently named him a nationwide leading attorney while Money Magazine featured him in their Leaders in Securities Law Showcase. The Italian Tribune Executive Board awarded Tacopina the prestigious Christopher Columbus/Publisher’s Award, which has been conferred upon many prominent individuals of Italian heritage for over 40 years including President Ronald Reagan, Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett, and Joe DiMaggio. The International Academy of Cartagine in Rome, Italy, through an evaluation by the Academic Senate of Human and Professional Merits, ceremonially recognized Tacopina for his achievements in business. He has also been recognized for his support of the anti-texting and driving program by the American Heritage School of Boca/Delray. Recently, The New York State Commission for Social Justice®, the anti-defamation arm of the Order Sons of Italy in America® awarded Tacopina The Man of the Year (2017) for his business achievements, contributions to society and representing Italian Americans in a positive manner.
Due to his skills and reputation as a premier trial attorney, Tacopina has authored multiple publications on various aspects of trial litigation. Joe wrote articles for both the New York Post and Daily News, and acted as a contributing author to Inside the Minds – Strategies for Defending DWI Cases in New York published by Westlaw and also Take the Witness: The Experts Speak on Cross-Examination, published by Juris Publishing, Inc.
Tacopina has tried nearly 100 cases to verdict and recently received one of the largest civil verdicts in New Jersey, as well as an acquittal for a NYPD officer accused of rape and burglary in a case that garnered national media attention.
In addition to Joe’s legal expertise, he is widely recognized for his business acumen and is much sought after for his strategic guidance and board member positions. Tacopina’s current affiliations include:
- VENEZIA F.C. – President, Chairman and Board Member of Venezia Football Club, a world renowned Italian soccer team.
- BOLOGNA F.C. – Former President, Chairman and Board Member of Bologna Football Club, a world renowned Italian soccer team.
- A.S. ROMA – Former Vice President, Board Member and Part Owner of A.S. Roma, a world renowned Serie A Italian soccer team.
- GLOBAL SPORTS SUMMIT – Board of Governor Global Sports Summit maintains responsibility for the strategic direction of the Global Sports Management Invitational. The Global Sports Summit is the only cross-industry convergence of professional team Owners and CEOs/Presidents from the NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, MLS/European Football and other professional leagues around the world. This exclusive forum brings together leaders from the world’s premiere sports franchises that collaborate on best practices to elevate team performance, drive financial results and maximize the impact of sports in society.
- SG BLOCKS – Board Member, and Owner of SGBlocks which redesigns, repurposes, and converts heavy-gauge steel cargo shipping containers into Safe Green Building Blocks (“SG Blocks”) for commercial, industrial, and residential building constructi
- BOBBY Q’s RESTAURANT – Board Member and Owner. Bobby Q’s was born out of love for great authentic BB It is a casual gathering place for families and friends located in the heart of beautiful downtown Westport, CT.
- BACKPLANE – Advisory Board Member of Backplane, a cutting edge, state of the art social media company.
- SENTICARE – Board Member of SentiCare which modeled a medication adherence product to improve the lives of individuals whose days are scheduled around medication adherence.
- BARNABA S.R.L. – Board Member and Owner, Barnaba S.R.L., a holding company for one of Milan, Italy’s leading restaurants, I Chiostri.
- K9s4Kids – Board Member with K94Kids, a charity that trains K-9s to protect children and keep them safe in sc
- K9s4Cops – Supporter of the foundation
- America SCORES – Volunteer with the national afterschool program that uses soccer and poetry to improve the health and literacy of youth in low-income communitie Tacopina was a recent recipient of its Man of the Year award.
- AMERICAN HERITAGE SCHOOL OF BOCA/DELRAY – Supporter of anti-texting and driving program
- ROCNATION – Counsel to RocNation Sports
Joe has earned high praise from prominent media and press personalities throughout his career. Listed below are just a few.
“Mr. Tacopina is to the defense bar what Donald Trump is to real estate”
– The New York Times
“Joe Tacopina, defense attorney… one of the best”
– Matt Lauer, Today Show
“[Tacopina] ranks among a group of top criminal defense lawyers”
– The Wall Street Journal
“Elevated to the upper level of prominence”
– USA Today
“One of New York’s fiercest defenders”
– NY Daily News
“Top-shelf, high powered litigator”
– New York Post
“High profile, high powered New York defense attorney”
– ABC Primetime
“One of the great defense attorneys of all time”
– Sean Hannity, Fox News
“One of the country’s top attorneys”
– Soledad O’Brien, CNN
“When you hire Joe Tacopina – it’s over”
– Don Imus, Fox Business Channel
“Joe Tacopina is one of New York’s best criminal defense attorneys”
– Geraldo Rivera, Fox News
“Tacopina’s unbelievable. That guy works magic. He is the real deal. He’s not to be messed with”
– Don Imus, Imus in the Morning
“One of the great trial lawyers in America who wins cases that nobody else could win”
– Rikki Klieman, Court TV Analyst
“Joe Tacopina, one of the go to defense lawyers in America”
– Don Imus, Imus Radio